7 Common Human Foods Dangerous to Dogs

Before you slip your dog your next bit of leftovers, keep in mind these 7 items your dog should never have.

7 Human Foods Dangerous to Dogs

7-Common-Human-Foods-Dangerous-to-Dogs 7 Common Human Foods Dangerous to Dogs

1. Chocolate

The sweet treat that’s loved by humans is not going to be loved by your dog’s body. The chemical in chocolate called Theobromine, which is similar to caffeine, could be toxic to your pooch. Theobromine becomes toxic when it’s ingested in 100 to 150 kilograms of body weight, which means the smaller the dog, the higher the risk. There’s varying levels of Theobromine depending on the type of chocolate, so to be safe, don’t give it to your dog at all.

2. Grapes and raisins

Tiny grapes and raisins can’t really do much damage, can they? You’d be surprised. They can be toxic – and fatal – when ingested in even the smallest of doses. No one really knows the reason behind them being toxic, but signs of poisoning include vomiting, dehydration, loss of appetite, and weakness.

3. Avocados

It’s hard to imagine that something that’s so good for humans could be so toxic to dogs, but it’s true. While the substance called Persin in avocados is what makes a dog sick, dogs have different levels of a reaction to it. Dogs could also inadvertently ingest the pit, which could get stuck in its digestive tract.

4. Onions

If ingested in large quantities, onions can be toxic to dogs as it can damage their red blood cells. Even if it’s ingested in a different form, such as onion powder, it can be toxic. Some signs of poisoning include fast breathing, fast heart rate, diarrhea, vomiting and lethargy.

5. Moldy food

Throwing moldy food out into the garbage bin? Make sure it’s out of reach of your pet. With all the types of molds that could grow on a particular item, your dog could get incredibly sick or even die if he ingests it. Signs of poisoning typically start as tremors in the body.

6. Salt

Too much salt can be extremely dangerous to dogs. Always keep the salt shakers out of reach of pups, and never give them foods that are high in sodium. Some signs of salt poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures, and lethargy. In serious cases, it can result in coma or death.

7. Dairy

There are many who believe a slice or two of cheese for a dog isn’t a big deal, especially when they have to wrap up their pill in it, but it depends on the type of reaction your dog has to the lactose in the dairy product. Most dogs are allergic to it, and just like humans, could be lactose intolerant. If your dog has diarrhea or vomiting after eating dairy, chances are he has the allergy, and you should avoid giving him dairy products in the future.

More about pet foods please visit : Hellopets.Info – Pets Life Gallery

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *